An inexpensive way to monitor your room for humidity is to purchase a good digital hygrometer.
These are great for a very close, not perfectly accurate, means of checking the humidity in a room where your cigars are located.
Naturally, if you are smoking very expensive cigars, you do not want them to turn to brittle and fall apart, and a digital hygrometer for the price may be worth it.
Digital hygrometers can range from as low as $7.00 up to $50.00, depending on the make, model and the accuracy they claim.
Many of them are made of plastic, and come in very slim designs, and can be used in any environment, including mobile homes, and apartment houses.
Some specs to consider when purchasing a digital hygrometer are:
- Slim Design Max Min C/F
- Run Indoors
- Low/High Memory which is USEFUL FOR indoors
- Humidity and temperature display.
- Simultaneous display of humidity and temperature
- Switch between C or F
- Sensors test the indoor humidity and temperature
- Fits into any space with its unique design
- Can be used in office/home/refrigerator/freezer/cabinet.
- Shows Memory of the last lowest and highest temperatures.
More about Digital Hygrometer
Ensure the technical guidelines can range from -30 to 50 °C; It can check Humidity, 30%RH~90%RH; and Accuracy: +/- 1C (between -20, 80 °C), or +/- 2 F
A typical digital hygrometer power supply runs off DC3.0V (3 volts) and uses one button battery CR2032 (this is the flat watch type of battery.
Calright.com has some good brands. But there are so many brands and types of digital hygrometers, we strongly recommend using the specs above to find the best at the right price.
Shiyi brand digital hygrometer is one of the best selling brands as well. These seem to last a long time and are small and have a good lifespan. Perfect for your cigar room and climate when traveling.
Some Specs of the Shiyi Brand are as follows:
Product main functions and characteristics
1. Provides Large-screen LCD digital display
2. Shows time, temp and relative humidity INSIDE at the same time.
3. Has a large Memory storage capability. You can check history at anytime and the would include humidity as well as temperature.
4. You can clear memory if needed.
5. Celsius / Fahrenheit unit switch display for traveling.
6. Choose a 12 or 24 hour clock function.
7. Has a nice calendar display to check date.
8. Can be placed on your desk, the wall, to facilitate your needs.
As you can see, most digital brand hygrometers are manufactured about the same, but the ones above is what we recommend for cigar humidity monitoring.
Of course, having a Cigar Humidor for traveling or for keeping cigars fresh at home is very important but Omit these can crack or go bad, and do, so having a way to monitor your current room humidity , where your cigars are stored, is paramount to keep them fresh, and a digital hygrometer is an inexpensive and smart way to go.
Spend a bit more on a good Digital Hygrometer to last you a long time, and you will be glad you did.